Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blast From The Past

This one happened to me about two years ago but it is still one of the funniest stories I have.  A guy came into the store looking for a program to open documents.  He didn't have the program installed on the computer and was looking for a program to do this.  After asking if he was planning to edit the documents or just look at them we found that what he needed was a word processing editor.  I showed him ones we had and he decided to go with the Product Key Card version of the productivity software.  I explained that since it was a product key card and he would be saving money he would have to download the software and install it then use the product key card in the packaging to activate it.  Otherwise he could go with the DVD version which would be easier to install but it does cost about 30 dollars more.  He seemingly understood what I was saying because he decided to go with that one anyway.  I showed him on the back of the packaging where to go to download the software then all he had to do was follow the instructions.  I rang him up and he went on his way.

About two hours later the guy comes back in the store comes up to the customer service counter and yells, "Don't you people answer your phones?! I have been calling for the last two hours and no one has picked up!!" I look at the cashier and then at the guy and said, "The phone hasn't been ringing at all for the last two hours. What number did you call?" He proceeds to tell me the number he called which was not our store's number.  He looked in the phone book and called the store in the town over that does not exist.  I still have yet to figure out why that number is in the phone book when there is no store there but whatever.  I asked him what the problem was and he explained that he can't download the software.  I ask him did he go to the website that I showed him on the back of the package.  He is like, "What website?" Once again I proceed to show him the web address that he would need to go to download the software.  I then give him the correct phone number to the store and tell him if has questions he can call.

Maybe about an hour later I get a tech call and sure enough it is the same guy.  He explains to me that he still cannot download the software. 

Me: "Did you go to the website on the back of the box?"

Guy: "I think so but I'm not sure what to do." 

I ask him to hold on, I am going to go to the same site on our computer and see what he is looking at.  I grab a box go to the site and see all the options on the screen.  I pick the phone back up and tell him to click the first option that is entitled Home and Student version. 

Guy: "What?! I don't see that!"

Me: "Are you on the website that showed you on the back of the box?"

Guy: "Website?"

Me: "Yes go to Internet Explorer, the little 'e' where go to webpages. Go to the address bar and type in exactly what you see on the back of the box..."  (I am seriously not understanding how this can be that difficult...)

*Long Pause*

Guy: "Argh, it doesn't help that I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I AM DOING!!!!!!!" *CLICK* (He hangs up)

I am dying laughing while I'm still holding the phone to my ear.  While laughing I proceed to tell one of my coworkers of what has just happened.

It is now one of the running jokes in the store that if someone comes in and complains but obviously has no idea what is going on we always joke about it later with the phrase, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I AM DOING!!!!!"

3 comments:

  1. I hate when customer's buy stuff and then call back later because they don't know what they are doing. Why are you buying the item in the first place if you don't know about it? Try to see if someone can help you like your friends! If Staples cannot help you repair your printer, set up your phone or do other mundane things try contacting the manufacturer! We do not get paid $8.00/hr to help you over the phone - that would be the point of buying a staples warranty! The staples warranty company gives phone support - the store associate don't! We will not setup your printer in the store for free - it costs money to do that AND you have to bring in your PC, if you want to get an onsite then it is even more money! Please stop trying to make us do more work then we already have to do. --- The other day there was a lady that called to purchase the Kindle Fire and we told her that it was available in the store. She asked if any of the associates in the store took a certification on how to use it. I said if you want the item why don't you learn how to use it, after all the item is going to be yours not ours. She hung up! She got me so pissed off. It seems to get worse working there everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I remember this one a coworker was helping a guy with software and the guy asked him a very specific question about one of the programs. The associate couldn't answer it because there was no way to know. (this was of course before we actually had internet in the store). The guy said, "If I worked here I would know everything about everything that you sold here!" yeah sure buddy

    ReplyDelete