Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Meat Story

A little while ago I was working one of those crazy days.  The ones where I am the only tech on and there is a line of three people dropping off computers for service while other people need help in routers and purchasing new computers. You know the usual.  Finally when it dies down a strange older gentleman comes up to the tech counter while I'm trying to catch up on the pile of computers that are in for service.  He wishes to buy a new computer all while explaining that he knows NOTHING about computers.  Ask him all about meat and he'll tell you about everything there is to know about meat.  Meat you ask? Yes, meat, this man was a meat man.  He chops up the meat off of animals such as deer and other types of animals, packs it and sells it.  This is the guy's job.  I mean I like steak as much as the next guy but this was pretty strange.  I'll decribe him, he was a taller heavy set man with a silver goatee, between 50's and 60's, a baseball hat, and about 2-3 teeth left showing in his mouth.  So while helping him with the new computer I mention that we have setup packages both in-store and on-site.  He gets all excited when I tell him about the on-site setup and that I would be the one that can come out to his house and setup his shiny new computer.  All the while I could smell the hint of alcohol on his breath.  He buys the computer and we setup the appointment for two days later.  We started some of the work in the store like making the recovery discs, software installations, and updates.  This makes it so the only thing I have to do on the on-site is setup the printer, connect to the wireless, data transfer, etc.

Two days later I come into the store and start gathering all the tools I need to complete the data transfer.  I find out that the guy called 2 hours earlier all mad because he thought I was supposed to be there already.  Great the meat guy is mad even though the appointment was agreed to be the time after I came into the store.  I can picture him now with a meat cleaver out when I pull up to his house.  I call him to confirm our appointment and he is all excited to have his new computer setup.  I knew where his house was generally located so I wasn't too concerned about where I was going.  That is, until I pulled up to his house and it looked like a rundown shack.  I contemplated getting out of the car and just turning around and heading back to the store.  I looked at the house again and noticed just the one part looked like a shack that the rest was actually a house.  So I manned up and approached the house and rang the bell.  He came to the door with his dog barking this time he wasn't wearing a cap and realized his silver hair was actually a silver mohawk.  And this time he was wearing a t-shirt and you can see the massive amounts of tattoos on his arms.  We head into the house and I setup the computer, get on the wireless, setup the printer, transfer his data, and install some other minor programs that he used.  All the while he is drinking his beer, watching some tattoo show and talking about meat while lovingly petting his dog.  I showed him how to navigate a little on the new computer and of course he kept right clicking everything instead of left clicking but eventually he started to get the hang of it.  He was a nice guy, but he was a still a strange individual.

Finally finished all the work that had to be done and was ready to get the hell out of there.  As he is walking me back to the door he says, "Let me show you my workspace."  His room is where we setup the computer so I haven't yet seen this workspace.  It was a room down the hallway from the door as he was walking he was wobbling a little bit, possibly from drinking too much beer.  He walks me outside and says, "Let me show you my meat room!" He opens the door next to the main door it was the one I originally saw when I first pulled in and looked like a shack.  Inside was a deer hanging upside that was completely gutted.  I found it interesting but perhaps a little disturbing since I came here to setup the guy's computer and he is now showing me a dead dear that is hanging in the shack which is connected to his house.  He thanked me again for setting up his computer and saying I did an amazing job helping him out.  He was so thankful he said, "I'm gonna come to the store and bring you some meat!!"  This was hands down the weirdest tech job I have ever done.

1 comment:

  1. SMH at your post. We had a female mobile tech and she was put in a similiar situation but instead of a regular house she went to a slaughter house to conduct an onsite. As soon as she set foot in the place and saw all of the butchering going on she slowly backed out and called the mobile tech supervisor to inform him him that she couldn't do the onsite and it should either be cancelled or a possible third party.

    I am glad you are safe by the way but you never know that guy could be a serial killer!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete