Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Sweet Sound of Death

Tonight I was working like any other night.  As the only tech working, I had to deal with people waiting in a line who get frustrated because they were waiting in a line.   I am the only one there that can help them with whatever tech problems they are having.  While I'm helping this one guy pick up his computer that had some corrupted video drivers, I notice three other people behind the man I'm currently dealing with.  The guy with the computer leaves and I get a data transfer cable for the guy who was next in line.  Then I come back to the tech counter and talk to the third person who was there with her daughter and she starts to go off on me.

Lady: "I had my computer here and you cleaned it out and now the sound is dead, you killed the sound!"

Based on what I just heard, it sounds like we did a system recovery and we somehow missed the audio drivers.  I ask her for her phone number to see what work we did on the computer and when it was completed.  When I look up the work order by her phone number the first thing that I notice is that the computer was last serviced mid OCTOBER of 2011...  (I have mentioned this distorted view of time the customers have in this post).  I mention that is when the computer was here and proceed to see what work was completed.  I open it and find that all we did on the computer was a PC Tune-up and a Memory Installation.  In no way, shape, or form could doing a tune-up and memory install cause it to "kill her audio".  I then go on to tell her exactly that. 

Me: "Ma'am we did a tune-up and a RAM installation on your computer there is no way that either of those services could have 'killed your sound'.  Now it is possible that the laptop's speakers are dead or a driver could have been corrupted but it wouldn't have been from the services we performed..."

Lady: "NO! THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM! YOU KILLED MY SOUND!! I HAD THREE DIFFERENT PEOPLE LOOK AT MY COMPUTER AND THEY ALL SAID THAT YOU KILLED MY SOUND!!! I AM VERY UPSET I GO TO PLAY SOMETHING AND I HAVE NO SOUND!!! I WANT TO TALK THE MANAGER TO HAVE THIS RESOLVED!!"

Me: "If this was a problem resulting from the services we did, why didn't you come back after it was done...?"

I completely forgot what she told me at this point because I was in disbelief in what was going on.  My guess is it was something lame like, "I was on vacation for two months" or "I was in the hospital for a sprained ankle"

At this point I have lost faith in humanity so I went into the office to clear my thoughts.  I page my fellow co-worker into the office and tell him of what has just transpired.  He is laughing as I point to lady through the two way mirror, a mirror on one side, and a window on the other.  She then goes up to one of the managers and starts explaining what she just explained to me.  My co-worker and I struggle as we try to hear what she is saying through the glass.  She basically explains the same thing to the manager and the manager explains what a tune-up entails and how it is performed and in no way could the sound not working be resulting from our service.  He then asked if she had a virus recently and her face turned completely red, apparently she had.  He explains more than likely a virus has caused the issues and she could bring it in for us to look at for a diagnostic charge...

RIP Sound
It was nice Hearing you!

1 comment:

  1. I did a tune up on a computer once and the person went home happy..... They brought it back in the next day and said i had messed their sound up. Well, i plugged it into my speakers and voila sound... So they go home and call me saying theres no sound.... After a little bit of arguing about how the customer thought they werent stupid and had surely turned the speakers on they finally looked and.... The speakers werent plugged into the wall outlet.... What a waste of a day.

    ReplyDelete