Thursday, March 1, 2012

Give Me Gas Money!

I go into work a earlier in the afternoon when the morning tech is still there.  While he is still in the store we decide to clean up receiving a little bit, we still had printers, monitors, and computers on u-boats that had to be put away.  We finish putting them all away then maybe a half hour to forty five minutes later a lady comes in looking for a cheap laptop.  It is only being used for email and Internet so a basic machine is fine.  She picks out the one she wants and I check to see if we have it, and we do so I bring it out and proceed to ring her up.  While the transaction is finalizing the SM is calling the tech counter from the copy center and my co-worker picks it up.  He's talking to the SM and I can only hear the co-workers side of the conversation.  Long story short the laptop that I just sold was being held for someone who had called earlier that morning.  Too bad there was no note or anything on the computer saying it was on hold so how the hell am I supposed to know, I'm not a freakin' mind reader.

When the lady leaves the store I talk to the SM wondering what we are going to do about the customer that had called.  I check and see the computer is still available on .com so worst comes to worst I can order it for the customer.  We also decided that we will let the customer know it was on hold but someone came in earlier saying they had the computer on hold and we sold it to them assuming it was the same person.

A few hours later a guy comes in to return a .com laptop that we had just ordered not too long ago and says he is going to switch it out for something different.  Ok, so I proceed with the return of the .com order and after I finish he says that we had a laptop on hold for him... Oh great this is the guy who had originally called for the hold on the computer.  I go to the back to check just in case I had missed one in our lockup but alas there were no more.  I tell the customer what had transpired saying it was on hold but someone came in earlier claiming it was on hold.  The guy starts freaking out saying this is bullshit and complaining why didn't we write his name on the damn computer.  I understand his frurstration, it's not my fault my SM is dumb afterall. 

So I try to check online to see if we can still order it but our register computers blow so much that it just freezes once I get to the page.  The customer says he wants it tonight, so I check our nearby stores to track one down.  Our next closest store is only 20 minutes away and I called them to confirm that they had one to sell.  As I stated in a previous post we aren't allowed to do "save a sale" anymore so the customer would have to go to the store to purchase it.  The guy from the other store is saying that they have one and will the customer be in tonight.  I ask the customer if he will be going there tonight to get it because they do have it.  The customer says yes he wants it tonight but we have to give him gas money to go pick it up.  WTF??  Or we have to go get it for him (we were shorthanded so no) or that the other store would have to bring it to him.  Meanwhile the guy on the phone from the other store keeps asking what we are going to do.  I tell him the customer's name, to just hold it aside and I will call back if there is a problem because the customer is freaking out right now.  I tell the customer that it's held aside and he can get it tonight.  He keeps complaining that I have to give him gas money to get it and the GM also gets involved saying unfortunately we cannot give him gas money.  The guy leaves the store all pissed off and cursing.

Later on that night the GM texts the SM saying that the guy is going to come back into the store the next day to talk to the person that put the computer on hold.  The SM texts back all nervous asking why is he going to be asking for me?! Of course the customer never said this but the GM thought it would be funny to get a rise out of the SM, I concur.  To make it even better I think I am going to describe the guy to the SM in a manner that will scare the shit out of the SM.  I am going to describe him as like 6'5", muscley and bald, wearing a SLAYER t-shirt, driving a pickup truck with testicles hanging from the back.  Oh and I think I'm also going to tell him as the guy was leaving the store he said, "I'm going to cut off the balls of the guy who said he put the laptop aside for me!"  In reality the guy was like 5'7" and really skinny and wasn't very threatening at all.

1 comment:

  1. It always amused me so much to hear what customers choose as their "compensation" for the perceived wrongdoing that they had...... so much so that i started leading them into asking the gm for stuff.

    ReplyDelete