Monday, November 14, 2011

Holy Craptastic Mondays Batman!

Where to start? Mondays usually suck a lot.  And today was certainly no exception.  My day started bright and early to a giant pile of computers that were in for service.  All of a sudden we are getting all these computers in, right before the holdiays because there are tons of other things to do.  Our DM Lord Farquaad was in last week and was pissed off that our promo setup still wasn't done.  Not surprising when there were only two techs in the entire store the week previously.  And by two techs I don't mean just techs who work on and repair computers. I mean techs who help people buying technology products, clean, fill product AND work on computers.  Of course Lord Farquaad doesn't understand this because he just bitches at the managers for 3 hours saying they need to delegate more.  Over the next few days we did our best to get all the promo stuff done while the computers kept piling up.

So that brings me to today.  The computers that were piling up of course had to be looked at so I started them as soon as I walked in.  Of course at my job it is impossible to even do that.  While looking at a computer I am usually only able to get to the windows log on screen before someone walks up to the counter.  "This is my cartridge is this the right replacement" Let's see HP 60 Black and HP 60 Black yep you got the right one. I mean really? Back to the computer I just turned on and RING RING Tech Has Call Holding... Great it's either going to be someone who has a really stupid question or calling to check the status on their computer that I still can't look at because they are calling to check on it.  Ok off the phone back to the computer to see the problems it is having then in walks someone else with a computer.  This is how it was all day, it took me hours to disable a firewall because it was non-stop. 

Finally got to another computer that came in because the customer thinks it has a virus.  What we like to do before just doing a virus removal is to make sure nothing else is going wrong in the computer (failing hard drive, bad memory, etc).  This is normal procedure so no surprises come up during a virus removal.  All the hardware passes so I check out the computer and sure enough it has a virus, I call the customer and have them approve performing a virus removal.  They gave us the go ahead so I started it.  The thing about our virus removals is the in store techs actually don't do the work, we connect to a third party who then removes the virus and we run a final scan to make sure everything is gone.  I let it run and come back to find the online tech "expert" says they can't perform the virus removal because the hard drive is failing.  Really? I wasted my time running a diagnostic where everything passes for you to tell me the hard drive is failing.  So I reconnect to the online service and explain I ran our diagnostics before hand and the computer was fine.  He then proceeds to tell me that he ran a scan too and he didn't want to argue saying which tool was better, then says he is closing the work order now :) . I kid you not he put a fucking smiley face.  To make it even better I never said that our diagnostic tools were better than their tool. I just want to have the computer finished so we can get it paid for and get it the hell out of the store.  So now we are left with a computer with the only option being we will have to do a restore since in-store techs are "not allowed" to perform virus removals.  And where the fuck are people getting these viruses anyway.  Just today I saw three computers that all had the same virus pretending to be a legitimate virus program called Privacy Protection 2011.  Seriously where the fuck do these things come from.  I guarentee if I spent my whole night TRYING to download a virus on my Windows 7 computer I couldn't manage to get one.
Well that was my day.  Let's hope tomorrow isn't an even bigger joke!

EDIT: I forgot to post some of the most interesting stuff that happened today.  While it was insanely busy the three managers on duty decided it was a good time to have a manager meeting in the office.  While everyone and their mother needed tech help.  I was helping this one lady while a guy was waiting behind her, and a dude needed help getting a monitor, all while tech phone keeps ringing off the hook. The one lady was so patient noticing how overwhelming my job can be.  She even goes on to say it's certainly a joke how the managers are in the office having a "meeting" while I'm out on the floor attempting to help 5 people at once.  The fact that the lady was saying this to other guy who was also patiently waiting for my help certainly made my day. It's really a no brainer why our tech satisfaction surveys keep having a low trending category that says "time it takes to greet customer".  Yeah it's kind of impossible for me to split into 5 seperate people to help everyone.  Ok now I'm done for today...

2 comments:

  1. Our store didn't get the cloning machine yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if we got the cloning machine I guarantee we still would get shitty raises lmao

    ReplyDelete