Thursday, December 1, 2011

Indecision Maker

This guy came in yesterday because he couldn't get his computer to boot right.  I had him turn it on and he had the laptop facing him so I couldn't see the screen. I told him to let me know when it gets to the part he was having problems with while I was working on some other computers.  After a couple minutes he finally says "This is what it does..." I look and it's just at a yellow looking screen and nothing is going on.  I notice the CD drive is spinning so I clicked it and noticed he had a Norton 360 disc in the tray.  The computer was booting to the disc rather than loading Windows from the hard drive.  Took it out and restarted the computer.  He made sure everything was good, turned it off and left.

Today when all this stuff had to get done, in comes this guy he puts the laptop on the counter.  I was currently working on something so I told him I would be with him in a minute.  Now his computer isn't powering on.  Ok... I take out the battery and try again... Nothing... I tried our universal power adapter to see if was that and perhaps the battery died... Nope...  In the 24 hours he managed to get a power surge and fry the computer. I was actually surprised he didn't blame us since I touched his computer yesterday to take the CD out of the tray.  He then proceeds to tell me that he needs a computer right away.

I should have known what I was getting into... I hate selling computers to people who don't listen to anything that I tell them when they ask.  I try to assess what people need based on their requirements but I am starting to care less and less because as I said they just make the bad decision anyway.  Then come back when the computer is too slow for their uses. 

Ok anyway, this guy was just using it for internet use and research.  This doesn't require anything too powerful.  I proceed to show him some of the basic laptops that would suit his need.  He stares at them for a few seconds then states that maybe he wants a desktop.  Ok... We turn around and I proceed to show him the basic desktops.  He's looking at them for a few seconds and I explain that these models don't include a monitor and that would need to be purchased as well.  So he thinks about it for a few minutes and decides he wants the desktop for 379.99 and the monitor on sale for 89.99.  I check to make sure we have them in stock and we do. I let him know we have it so I'll go get it.  I go to the stock room and grab the tower and monitor and bring them out and place them on the counter.  I go back over to the customer and tell him I brought it to the front.  "I think I want a laptop instead..." Are you fucking kidding me? He shows me two of the laptops he is looking at, I explain the differences between the two and make my recommendations.  He asks to double check the stock on them. I check on the computer and both are in stock.  I come over to tell him that yes we have both of them so it's his choice to which one to get.  Should have known it wouldn't be that easy.  "Now I am looking at these two." Mind you these are on the other side of the table and would be overkill for his needs.  I explain this to him that two laptops he was looking at before would be fine.  He decides to get the first laptop he had me check and I go to the stock room again to replace the original desktop and monitor choice.  After replacing those items in the back I get the laptop he chose.  Hoping this is the last time...  I come out with the laptop and tell him that if he's all set I can ring him out.  "Maybe I should go with the desktop." OMFG!!!  I was about to kill this guy right there.  I was like no this laptop is more powerful than the desktop you were looking at and it's not much more money.  He ended up leaving with that laptop because I swear if I had to get the original desktop again I would not only have been fired on the spot but also in jail for murdering someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment